Podcasts are a great way to improve your English, especially your oral skills. In today’s post we are going to recommend some of them that can be very useful.
But let’s start from the beginning, what’s a podcast? The term podcast is obtained by mixing the words iPod and broadcast. It refers to a series of episodes of an audio show that can be downloaded and listened on a person’s mobile device, both offline and online.
And, why do teachers recommend podcast? A podcast is a great tool that you can use to complement your English classes. Some of their advantages include:
- You develop your listening skills.
- You pronunciation improves dramatically.
- You learn a lot of new words, expression and phrases.
- You get used to a variety of English accents and varieties.
- You have the opportunity to listen to native English speakers.
But, which are the best podcasts for your level? Here you’ll find some podcast grouped by level, from elementary to advanced. We hope you find them useful!
Here you’ll find different episodes divided into different sections, from fictional drama and jokes to quizzes and language advice. Each recording has a transcript and interactive exercises to help you understand and use the language.
In Espresso English you’ll find 5 – 10 minutes long lessons designed to teach you a lot in a short time. You’ll learn English grammar, vocabulary, phrases, idioms, and more in no time!
In this webpage there are videos showing the lives of young Americans. The videos are organized in lessons that include quizes and vocabulary.
In these podcasts Neal and Sam discuss a wide variety of interesting topics from Recycling to Meditation. A new program is uploaded every Thursday and it is available for 30 days.
Here you’ll find 6 different series with different aims, from understanding English conversation to discovering English study tips. Have a look at their webpage and find the one that fits your needs!
This website is perfect for busy people as it offers podcast that last for less than 5 minutes. They address a wide variety of topics ranging from “Life in the UK” to “Being crafty”.
Global News offers the day’s top stories from BBC News. The podcasts are delivered twice a day on weekdays and daily at weekends.
The podcast features a light conversation between two people who take up one fun and popular idiom every week. You’ll hear idioms used in context, which is the best way to pick up new vocabulary and polish your English.
Lindsay, Michelle and Jessica host a program with the motto “Connection not perfection”. Their goal is to help you relax, have fun, and learn real, natural English. In their podcast they discuss current cultural topics and show you idioms, phrases, and new vocabulary words that will help you connect in English.
And finally, how can you make the most of listening to this podcasts? We are going to close our post with some advice to take us much benefit as possible of the time you spend listening to podcasts:
- Find some time everyday to listen to something in English. Podcasts are great for this, but it can also be a YouTube video, an audio book… Just 10 minutes every day can make a big difference.
- Choose a podcast that you find interesting. Practising your English shouldn’t be tedious. If you find a podcast that addresses your interest it can be great fun.
- Start by listening to an English podcast with text. In this way you’ll find new words and phrases easily. When your skills improve you’ll be able to understand them without subtitles or transpts.
And the most important thing: don’t give up! It might be a bit frustrating if at the beginning you don’t understand everything, but remember that practise makes perfect.